Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"However, we don´t know that more than five million Congolese have died as a result of the war since 1998."

From Stop The War In North Kivu:

"Ignorance of African wars by Western public opinion and Western media has been a questioning issue for me for years.

I give an example. Each time I return home and I spend a few weeks in my town, I meet my friends. They are all my age and they all have gone to university. Most of them read the newspaper on a daily basis. However, none of them know almost anything about what is happening in the countries I live.

This has come through my mind many times, for years.

I am convinced that the thunderous silence of Western media regarding horror in African conflicts entails an enormous, and unavoidable, ethic question. If five million people die in a given place, we as human beings have the obligation to know that this has happened. It is a moral obligation. We must know, the same way that we all know that millions of Jewish men, women and children were exterminated in Germany in the Second World War. However, we don´t know that more than five million Congolese have died as a result of the war since 1998.

Citizens of an information age have a right to know about it, and victims have a right for their suffering to be told, and known."

I consider the world's reaction and ignorance of the war in the Congo a disgrace. Every person on the planet, no matter how ignorant or bigoted, considers themselves an expert on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. But the war in the Congo, which has claimed about 5 Million more lives, is not even important enough for simple awareness. There is something terribly unhealthy going on here, and we'd better confront it before we have 5 Million more useless deaths to cry about.

No comments: