"Peru protests boil over 2
Indigenous protesters took 38 police officers hostage. The news breaking right now says the military made a rescue attempt. The Peruvian military say they rescued 22 police, nine were killed by the protesters and seven remain missing.
Among other news (which I've also covered on Twitter):
- Authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Alberto Pizango.
- The Peruvian Congress will hold a hearing on Monday.
- Members of the Peruvian government and pro-govt media claim the protesters are backed by Bolivia and Venezuela. Indigenous groups deny the allegations.
- Indigenous groups claim the government is lying about the number of protesters dead and are burning the bodies to "disappear" them (via IKN).
- The government has declared a day of national mourning tomorrow for the police officers who died. Flags at all Peruvian government buildings will be a half staff.