Thursday, August 28, 2008

Freedom Democrats On Libertarian Democrats

Freedom Democrats has a post by Kaligula entitled "Wither The Libertarian Democrat?", calling the whole concept into question. Fair points are made, but I want to answer a few.

Here's one point:

"Firstly, the notion of "libertarian democrat" infecting the bloodstream of the National Democratic Party was a stillborn one at best. Kos himself, after the 2006 midterms, quickly abandoned the libertarian dem project. At Daily Kos the only ideology is winning and the primary means to such an end is to attack Republicans. Thus, the selection of Biden, which should have been viewed as an anathema by Kos, is instead praised primarily because the echo chamber reassures him that Biden will be a rabid Republican attack dog(of course, I take the contrarian position that McCain would welcome a daily news cycle attack-counterattack dialog with Joe Biden over issues like National Security)."

I don't believe that Kos has abandoned the idea, and, while I agree the idea is stillborn, perhaps it needs new parents. This blog will attempt that.

As for Biden, I agree with Kos, even though I agree that Biden is no libertarian Democrat. It is essential for Democrats to win for libertarian Democrats to have any efficacy. Surely we want our party to win, given the alternative. I don't see that being a libertarian Democrat obviates the need for pragmatic and strategic thinking. Quite the opposite.

Here's the second point:

"...the second point that needs to be made, articulated here rather dramatically by Chuck Todd, is that while the national Democratic party remains largely indifferent or even hostile in some instances to libertarian ideas, Western Democrats have succeeded in no small part due to the shift of the western "libertarian vote" from the GOP to the Dems. So while Schweitzer's convention speech was perhaps disappointing from a libertarian point of view, I would nevertheless posit that to the extent the likes of Schweitzer wish to remain popular governors in Western states, you should regard that speech for exactly what it is: just a speech. I don't see it portending any significant change in the actual governing philosophy--which is distinct from that of the National Party--of Western democratic Governors. However, the speech does highlight everything that is wrong with the Democratic Party."

Give us a chance! I do see signs of such movement among people I actually know in the Democratic party. I will document these shifts as I go along, but one I can mention now is rent control, which many Democrats have now begun to question if not jettison.

In any case, these are good points, but I find that there is enough hope for this position for me to begin this blog, whatever might come of it. A movement can begin with "just a speech".

No comments: