Friday, August 29, 2008

Libertarian Democrat Themes In Sen Obama's Acceptance Speech

Here are some libertarian Democrat highlights from Sen. Obama's marvelous acceptance speech:

"It's a promise that says each of us has the freedom to make of our own lives what we will...It's a promise that says the market should reward drive and innovation and generate growth...Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems...That's the promise of America -- the idea that we are responsible for ourselves...I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow...I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class...But we must also admit that programs alone can't replace parents; that government can't turn off the television and make a child do her homework; that fathers must take more responsibility for providing the love and guidance their children need."

Now, I realize that I have edited his comments in order to emphasize the libertarian aspects of his speech, which includes quite a bit that is not libertarian. My point is that Sen. Obama did indeed give some libertarian flavor to his speech, which I take to be quite important. I'm not saying that Sen. Obama is a libertarian Democrat, but that he does acknowledge some aspects of our ideas. That's a good start.

Many will believe that Sen. Obama is paying lip-service to these ideas, and doesn't really believe in them. I disagree, and believe that time will prove me correct. Wishful thinking? Isn't all political thinking?

No comments: