Sunday, December 28, 2008

"As a blogger, I am an amateur. Perhaps, as one commenter noted, you think I’m “nuts.”

From Positive Liberty:

"In Praise of Amateurs

Jim Babka on Dec 28th 2008

This post is in praise of amateurs, so many of whom choose to blog( I'M ONE ). And the world is better for it.

While reading the January 2009, “The Year in Science” edition of DISCOVER magazine, I came across this wonderful quote( I AGREE ) by Robert Proctor — the world’s leading agnotologist:

Something is lost when people specialize. I like to see things like an amateur. The word amateur is literally “lover,” it’s from amore. Professionalism is often the death of intellectual inquiry. So I think there’s a kind of virtue in systematic amateurism that really needs to be rekindled. If you don’t love and hate and play and joke with your objects of study, then you’re really not treating them properly. I tell my students if you’re not angry and excited and enthralled by your topic, you should choose a different one.

As a blogger, I am an amateur. Perhaps, as one commenter noted, you think I’m “nuts.” But he gets what he’s paid for. Many bloggers are nuts — about their topic. They write about things that passionately engage them, even if they aren’t yet experts. They write about…

* Things for which they did NOT get a degree.( YES )
* Things they do NOT do professionally. ( YES )
* Things about which they are still learning.( YES )
* Things they want to others to help them learn more about.( YES )

In fact, they might write and post as much for the feedback as anything. I love getting praise and critique (the former makes me feel good, the latter teaches me). Much of what is put on blogs like PL and other blogs I frequent is wonderful, informative, and best of all, fun. It’s also free! It’s presented by people who are not yet bored or worse, jaded by their topic. They are still in that pre-mastery “amore stage.” ( TRUE )

Like most folks, the people I socialize with tend to be like me. We’re in pretty much the same class, same race, and with similar values. But blogging has permitted me to meet and become friends with folks who differ with me in significant ways( TRUE ). It’s helped me to see their perspectives and understand them better. Did I mention that blogging is cool?( I'M NOT COOL )

But there’s more to being an amateur than just blogging. Amateurs are abundant, and to paraphrase an old saw, “God must’ve loved amateurs; he made so many of them.” I think that amateurs are absolutely necessary, and I tend to prefer reading them, instead of the professionals. And here are a few of my reasons why…

1) Professionals tend to write to their colleagues. That means they write in insufferable jargon and insider lingo. ( TRUE. I TRY AND CUT THROUGH THAT. )
2) They tend to communicate in and about abstractions. Their work often feels irrelevant to me. Why should I invest the time in their field if first, they’re not writing to me, if second, it’s hard, and if third, it doesn’t seem like it will enhance my life to do so? ( I ENJOY SOME ABSTRACTION AND THEORY. )
3) The pros are non-interactive. Professionals may write books, and perhaps you can only communicate with them through their publisher. They also publish in professional journals, but only their colleagues can critique them there. Frequently, amateurs can only get your attention by giving you an outlet to communicate with them. Their audiences are generally smaller, and they love the attention, positive and negative. Maybe you want to learn something with them? What fun!( TRUE )
4) Professional writing is often sterile. It lacks life. I have a hard time, for example, reading legal briefs. So much wasted motion. So little compelling narrative. Legislation itself is far worse. In my day job, I’m required to read that garbage. It’s so bad even members of Congress won’t read the stuff. Yuck.

Here are some great amateurs in history, as complied by John Malone, author of a book on amateurs, for the program NOVA.

  • Gregor Mendel
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Arthur C. Clarke
  • Michael Faraday
  • Joseph Priestley — perhaps the ultimate “dabbler.”

A great amateur of history (and blogger) is our own Jonathan Rowe. From time to time, Jon has been criticized, by those who disagree with him, for not being part of the credentialed caste. He has no history degree. He’s not a theologian. He doesn’t do his work by according to The Official Historians of the World Rules and Guidelines Manual. He probably wouldn’t be permitted to publish in professional journals.( SO WHAT ? )

I don’t know about you, but I’ve read some of that dross, and I’d much rather read Jon’s stuff. And I find the people who criticize him in this fashion to be so passé. I’ve learned quite a bit from Jon, in bite size chunks. He’s one of my favorite amateurs, and I can tell he’s still in that “amore stage.”

Hail the amateur — the man or woman who loves his subject so much he does without regard to power, fame, or fortune.

And with anti-professional zeal, I write, “Hardball delenda est.”

As I say on my profile: Amateur, Flaneur, Poseur. A very nice post.

No comments: