Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pick me!, as it were.

From Paul Kedrosky:

"
Bill Gross: Pick Me! Pick Me!

Having said his strategy is to stay under the Treasury/Fed umbrella, PIMCO fund manager is now cheerily suggesting that the umbrella be re-positioned a little to give him better rain protection. He wants Treasury/Fed to start buying the bonds that he owns:

Policymakers should not focus entirely on one-off bailouts of large real estate developers, municipalities, or even credit card issuers like they have with Citi, BofA, and AIG. Rather, they should recognize that supporting critical asset prices such as municipal bonds, CMBS, and even investment grade corporate bonds is a necessary step towards eventual economic revival.

[via PIMCO]

Pick me!, as it were."

He who shall be nameless:

I read him a little differently now Paul. Gross has to say up front what he wants since GMAC. He needs to put the onus of the decision on the agency that makes it. After all, his position was clear , he's saying. I also think that's why he stayed out of the GE talks. He needs to appear consistent. Not to be a conspiracy person, but I do wonder if he feels that the GMAC negotiations might end up being investigated some day.

Excuse me, GM talks

Kedrosky responds:

"Interesting perspective. I don't disagree that he feels more of an obligation to transparently talk his best interests, in part given the GM imbroglio.

That said, I wish people would flag that more when quoting him -- Gross should be forced to disclose positions when cited. .

P"

No comments: