Sunday, February 22, 2009

But the DRC rarely appears in the main tabloids

From Stop The War In North Kivu:

"
How many people have to die in the DRC to appear in the New York Times?
2009 February 22
by Blog admin

drc-isrpal

Stealth Conflicts suggests this is the death toll comparison between the conflict in the DRC and the Palestine-Israeli conflict. I am sure that this estimation (based on known figures) is very close to the real figure.

We live in a globalized world, where any information shows up on a webpage in a matter of minutes. But the DRC rarely appears in the main tabloids. With its absence, the media are sending us a message: depending on where you are born, your life is worth more, or less.

This is so evidently unfair and painful.

My only hope is that, forty years from now, this scandal will be seen as a problem of the past. As a symptom of the problems of a society -our developed one- that, with time, changed for better. I hope to talk about it to my grandsons in the same way afroamerican grandparents talk nowadays about Rosa Parks. Like talking about an evident problem that finally, one day, one person dared to face. And changed for good.

We need our own Rosa Parks to raise this issue. I hope she will come soon.

Me:

I agree with you. The DNC, Uganda, Nigeria,etc., have all had more casualties that the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. In my opinion, we should be invested in ending all wars, but especially focused on where the most people are dying.

I’m Jewish, so I’m going to give my take on why this is the case:
1) Israel is involved in the West vs Islam theme
2) Oil producing countries are tangentially involved
3) Jew Hatred
4) Disinterest/ Bigotry: However, this applies to Columbia, Sri Lanka, Etc. Not just Africa.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the only one in the world where everybody on earth, now matter how bigoted or ignorant of the actual circumstances, has an opinion. For me, and I know this sounds strange to Non-Jews, the hatred of Jews plays a huge role in the focus. A lot of anti-Israel criticism is just Jew Hatred. If you want my views on the conflict, they’re on my blog. After all, one wonders how Gaza, which I was against and needs to be assessed for war crimes on Israel’s part, as does Hamas, can be genocide, when Nigeria, where 10,000 people have died in recent years, doesn’t even rate a comment.

My focus on the DRC is partly political, but also religious. Everyone is equal. Ignoring the slaughter of people for any reason, but especially ethnic reasons, is something that offends and concerns me deeply as a person and a Jew.

Keep up the good work.

No comments: