Friday, November 28, 2008

"The Mumbai attacks have rekindled a debate in Israel over the safety of Israeli and Jewish institutions abroad."

I hope everyone in the US had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I certainly did. A wonderful day, where I took my two usual walks, read and posted, and had an amazing meal with my family. I'm extremely lucky. Does that mean that I'm all bright and chipper? Sadly, no, because that's just not me.

Anyway, I'm going to talk about Mumbai. Not because I've some great knowledge to impart about what's going on, because I don't, but because it has to do with a few personal issues I've wanted to address. Of course, I pray for the innocent lives which have been taken in this terrorist attack, and, also, that no more innocent lives be taken.

If I were tempted to address the larger issues about this atrocity in Mumbai, I would wait for it to end, and then, when I had more real information, I would comment about it. There are far too many people who comment on these kinds of events while they are still ongoing, in a reckless and uninformative manner, and who are generally not even called to account for their words.

So, allowing that I'm talking about something personal that occurs to me in the Mumbai situation, that it took this tragedy to bring an issue up, I want to say something that occurred to me.

When I read that Zardari of Pakistan was putting out peace feelers to India, I wondered, if, as in the Israeli-Plaestinian conflict, terrorists would use the moves towards peace as an occasion to try and derail any such peace prospects by mounting an attack. I've no idea if that's what happened, but that's what occurred to me.

Then, when I read this in the FT:

"The Mumbai attacks have rekindled a debate in Israel over the safety of Israeli and Jewish institutions abroad. Israeli security officials have long warned that militants could target places such as Israeli embassies and Jewish cultural centres outside Israel, rather than strike inside the country.

The foreign ministry said on Friday that it was too early to draw conclusions from the Mumbai attacks, but that it was unlikely that Israel could shoulder the burden of securing all Jewish institutions around the world. ”We offer security for Israeli institutions abroad, but anything more is probably unrealistic,” the spokesman said.

A similar conclusion was drawn by Amos Harel, a commentator for Haaretz newspaper, who wrote on Friday: ”Since last February, the defence establishment has been involved in a worldwide effort to protect Israeli citizens and Jewish centres from attack by Hezbollah as revenge for the assassination of Imad Mughniyeh [a senior Hebollah commander killed in Damascus].

“Serious attacks have been thwarted during that time. But the terror attack in Mumbai, in which the local Chabad House was a secondary target, indicates that Israel will never quite cover local Islamic terror in developing nations.”

The connection seemed confirmed to me. I've jumped to a conclusion. That Jews were targeted in a terrorist attack in a foreign country, and a connection between the two conflicts has been drawn. A symbolic connection, if you will.

So, when I heard the news of the attack in Mumbai on Wednesday, I was saddened, but I wasn't surprised. That's a part of the ongoing Pakistani-Indian conflict, which needs to be solved.

But, I was also not surprised to hear that Jews had been targeted in a foreign country by terrorists for being Jews. Sadly, that's an everyday concern of being Jewish. Just a personal thought, brought on by an ongoing human tragedy.

No comments: