Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Elliott Carter is "One of America's most distinguished creative artists in any field" (Aaron Copland)."

Today Elliott Carter is 100 years old. I have a link on my Interesting Sites to this site:



Elliott Carter is "One of America's most distinguished creative artists in any field" (Aaron Copland). Carter was initially encouraged to become a composer by Charles Ives who had sold insurance to his parents, later going on to study at Harvard with Walter Piston and in Paris with Nadia Boulanger. With his explorations into tempo relationships and texture, Carter's consistently innovative and dynamic output of works is unmistakably American. Sometimes, in works such as the String Quartet No 1, it is reminiscent of the vastness of the American landscapes; at other times, for example in the Concerto for Orchestra, his complex counterpoint conjures up the dense and hectic environment of the big cities. His intricate, mercurial work often mirrors human interactions and relationships. Recent years have seen an outpouring of major orchestral scores such as Micomicón and Soundings, along with numerous chamber works. Carter’s late style is marked by transparency and clarity of texture, with a new directness of formal design. His music has been championed by leading conductors including Boulez, Barenboim, Knussen, Nagano, Dohnányi, Levine, Gielen, Holliger, Robertson, and Bamert, and his many awards include official recognition from the governments of France, Germany, Italy, and the U.S."


When I had my old site, my most important post was defending Elliott Carter against Joe Queenan. He's terribly important to me, and a great composer, but, on this day, I don't feel the need or desire to justify those of us who love his music. I realize that not everyone enjoys such music, but I wish people would give it a fair hearing. I listen quite a bit to an old cd called "Eight Compositions", but try anything if it interests you. I've just listened to it, and am going to take a walk with it fresh in my mind.

Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear more about Libertarian Democrat ideas. I couldn't find contact information for you, though.

Donald Pretari said...

Jeremiah,
My ideas are on this blog. My profile is also on the blog. If you have a specific question, go ahead and ask me. Also, if you want to comment yourself, please feel free.
Take care,
Don

Joe Barron said...

"on this day, I don't feel the need or desire to justify those of us who love his music."

Hear hear!

Donald Pretari said...

Joe,
How the hell are You?
Take care,
Don