Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"If you ask me, it is because of fear"

Here's a post which explains why I believe getting Saver Nations to spend could be hard. Hung Huang on Economix:

"We Chinese are the biggest savers in the world.

We had a personal savings rate of 25 percent and a national savings rate (which includes corporate savings) of 47 percent in 2005, compared with a personal rate of 0.5 percent and a national rate of 12 percent in the United States that year. (Last month, the United States personal savings rate was 2.4 percent.)( THAT'S A SAVER NATION )

This year, to make sure the economy will continue to grow at 8 percent, the government is trying to stimulate domestic consumption. So far, it is not working; no one is out there on a shopping spree. Most Chinese, even if their monthly income is less than $100, still manage to save quite a bit of money. ( I'M NOT SURPRISED )

Why?

If you ask me, it is because of fear ( I FIND THIS TO BE A HUMAN AGENCY EXPLANATION, AND PLAUSIBLE ) — fear that our parents will get old and no one will take care of them; fear that if we get sick, no one will take care of us; fear that when our children go to school, we will not be able to afford the best education. Unfortunately for us, we have a very dilapidated social welfare system. Things that are supposed to be free actually are loaded with hidden costs.

My mother passed away in the beginning of the year. She had worked for the government for 40 years, and the government was supposed to cover her health care expenses. However, we found out that when it came to prescribing treatment for her, all the imported medicines were not covered by the government health plan. One antibiotic injection that she needed costs $1,500 a day. There was no chance that the state-run hospital would take an I.O.U.; we had to provide the cash beforehand.

What was worse was that the doctors needed to be paid on the side. A friend of mine paid $10,000 to a surgeon so that he would operate on her ailing father. Things like that are very common in China. I have another friend who works for a Western pharmaceutical company. Her job is to take all the doctors on fancy vacations so they keep prescribing her company’s medicine for their patients.

China is also supposed to have a free education system. Never mind the quality of the education. Let’s just tally up the cost. If I want to send my daughter, who is 3, to one of the top preschools in Beijing, it will cost me about $1,000 a month. I live on a small street with a famous primary school. As a rule, I have the right to send my child to the school since I live in the neighborhood. If I did not live here, I would need to pay a $10,000 to $30,000 sponsorship fee to the school. But I was told the “free zone” of the school for the neighborhood has been getting smaller and smaller. Probably by the time my daughter is old enough for primary school, we will not qualify anymore, although our house is only about 100 meters from the school.

As for myself and my husband, we have to save for our old age. We are not sure whether the government will have any social welfare for the elderly by the time we retire in 15 years. However, whatever that social welfare might be, it will not be enough to live on.

Take my mother for example. She was a government official, and the widow of a foreign minister. She received at the time of her death, about $230 a month. She certainly could not live on that amount, so it was good that she wrote some best-selling books, and the royalties could help cover her expenses.

Aside from all the above reasons, the Chinese also save for their children and their grandchildren. When my mom passed away, I found that she has saved a great deal of money — about $300,000. She has put it into an education fund for my daughter. “When Ping Ping gets into Harvard,” she said in her will, “I want you to use this money to pay for her tuition. It is my last gift to her.”

Good luck on the Stimulus. I think that the Government will have to spend the money.

No comments: