Friday, November 7, 2008

"Beyond that, the response to the economic crisis is, in itself, a chance to advance the progressive agenda."

Paul Krugman goes all progressive on me in the NY Times:

"But will the election also mark a turning point in the actual substance of policy? Can Barack Obama really usher in a new era of progressive policies? Yes, he can.

Right now, many commentators are urging Mr. Obama to think small. Some make the case on political grounds: America, they say, is still a conservative country, and voters will punish Democrats if they move to the left. Others say that the financial and economic crisis leaves no room for action on, say, health care reform.

Let’s hope that Mr. Obama has the good sense to ignore this advice.

About the political argument: Anyone who doubts that we’ve had a major political realignment should look at what’s happened to Congress. After the 2004 election, there were many declarations that we’d entered a long-term, perhaps permanent era of Republican dominance. Since then, Democrats have won back-to-back victories, picking up at least 12 Senate seats and more than 50 House seats. They now have bigger majorities in both houses than the G.O.P. ever achieved in its 12-year reign.

Bear in mind, also, that this year’s presidential election a clear referendum on political philosophies — and the progressive philosophy won."

Am I scared? No.

Here's my comment:

"But standard textbook economics says that it’s O.K., in fact appropriate, to run temporary deficits in the face of a depressed economy. Meanwhile, one or two years of red ink, while it would add modestly to future federal interest expenses, shouldn’t stand in the way of a health care plan that, even if quickly enacted into law, probably wouldn’t take effect until 2011."

"Helping the neediest in a time of crisis, through expanded health and unemployment benefits, is the morally right thing to do; it’s also a far more effective form of economic stimulus than cutting the capital gains tax. Providing aid to beleaguered state and local governments, so that they can sustain essential public services, is important for those who depend on those services; it’s also a way to avoid job losses and limit the depth of the economy’s slump."

With all due respect Paul, I don't see these proposals as being that radical. I support them. You admit that the deficit should be temporary, and helping the needy through a recession is obvious to me. I support a health plan as well. Pretty standard stuff.

Don the libertarian Democrat

— Don, Tacoma, WA

First of all, I've already said that President Obama doesn't scare me. He's going to do fine, even by me and my wing of the Democratic Party.

Second, and maybe this explains why I'm a Democrat, Paul Krugman, Robert Reich, Robert Kuttner, Jeffrey Sachs, George Soros, Alan Blinder, are not radicals. When they actually bother to list proposals, I can go along with many of them. I don't why this progressive mandate mantra is occurring, except as some kind of warning shot to people like me that liberals and progressives are in my party. Don't worry, me and my libertarian and Blue Dog buddies haven't forgotten.

Hey, and this time, I even got some recommendations on my post.

No comments: