Sunday, November 2, 2008

"In most states in the Union you can write in the Bertie Wooster/Jeeves ticket"

I love this quote by Alexander Cockburn on Counterpunch:

"Listening to my complaints about Obama, a friend of mine in New York asked what alternative I had to recommend her. Since in New York the split for Obama-Biden is roughly 65-29 I told her it didn't matter. She could write in the straight Wiccan ticket if she felt so inclined. (Not a bad platform either, as she duly reminded me: “Do as you will, as long as it harms none.”) It wouldn't make any difference, any more than it would in California, where you can vote for Nader or Barr or McKinney and Obama is going to win regardless. In most states in the Union you can write in the Bertie Wooster/Jeeves ticket, and even without your vote Obama-Biden will canter home. So get out there and have fun and don’t feel excessively burdened by responsibility to History – always a left-wing failing.

And wouldn't Barr be the first mustachioed occupant of the White House since Teddy Roosevelt? Even if you don’t like the man, vote the mustache! This would be change we can see. Does that phrase have a vaguely familiar ring? It was what LBJ used to advise his staff during the Great Society build-up: "You've gotta give them change they can see." Meaning bridges, roads, new parks. Apparently the Obama pre-transition team is studying the early days of the New Deal and Great Society programs as thematic precursors for their initial two years -- before they lose one house of Congress, I suppose. I like freshman Montana Senator John Tester’s notion of change we’d like to see. Tester said people "want to see the executives that drove Wall Street into the ground in orange suits picking up cans along the side of the road." He’s got a hugely popular reception for that thought."

First of all, I'm a big fan of Tester. Second, I like Bob Barr, but I'm not voting for him. I could vote for Barr, but those days are past. Third, although I hear the criticisms of Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden, I feel that it's a pretty decent ticket. Not the ticket I would have constructed, but a very good ticket all things considered, and I'm doing more of that as I age. But that's not what I really love about this quote. No. It's this:

"In most states in the Union you can write in the Bertie Wooster/Jeeves ticket"

I can't tell you how tempted I am to do this.

No comments: