Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"If the country is so progressive, how come Bush won the popular vote four years ago?"

Megan McArdle with the opposite take:

"I am struck by the memory of a seething Democrat four years ago, watching Republicans gloat about their "permanent majority": "They don't bother me. All their gloating will just make their tears sweeter when they finally lose." I'd be more worried about the permanent majority if I hadn't just checked the Democrats' congressional approval ratings. If they don't pick up soon--and now there are no Republicans to blame for anything that goes wrong--I estimate the life of this mandate at about three months."

Here's my comment:

I would suggest that some of this is jockeying for position within our party. With the deficit and debt being so problematic, and many of the pick ups being Blue Dog Dems or types like me, the liberals are worried that the new President will please me and my Blue Dog friends on economics and disappoint them.

I'm not worried, because I believe President Obama is more likely to end up pleasing me on economics than liberals.

No comments: