Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Mr. Lavieri says, "people aren't shopping to feel better. They actually are not shopping to feel better."....."

Yves Smith sees, via the WSJ, a new wind blowing:

"Is "Retail Therapy" Ending in America?

Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com
A report in the Wall Street Journal today focuses on how even the affluent are reining in their spending, but what I found most intriguing was that the well-cultivated American habit of shopping as self validation appears to be undergoing a sea change.

From the Wall Street Journal:
The twin currents of an economic downturn and rising concern about the environment are merging in a shift in consumer psychology. After a decade of conspicuous consumption, many middle- and upper-income Americans are no longer comfortable showing off $300 Gucci sunglasses and $8,000 Hermes Birkin bags. They are developing a distaste for extravagance that promises to affect spending on everything from cars and travel to electronics, fashion and household goods -- and to last at least as long as the recession."

Read the rest. Here's my comment:

Don said...

I'm sorry. I'm waiting for my aunt, who, although not rich, is a shopaholic, to throw the towel in. Until she does, I'm not buying it.

Of course, I buy hardly anything as a matter of course.

Don the libertarian Democrat

No comments: