Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Pirates in the area will reportedly enjoy some $50 million in profits in 2008"

Free Exchange on modern day pirates:

"And Somali pirates have outdone themselves, capturing a massive Saudi oil tanker holding crude oil valued at $100 million. The ship, as large as an American aircraft carrier and manned by a crew of 25, is now anchored off the coastof Somalia. Pirates in the area will reportedly enjoy some $50 million in profits in 2008."

Here's my comment:

About those pirates. Why can't we issue Letters Of Marque against them? Or did I read too much Patrick O'Brian?
11/18/2008 5:15 PM GST

2 comments:

Jason said...

Sure they are pirates but so are the bailed out banks, the big 3, people that bought to much house and mortgage companies.


GM bailout nonsense

Donald Pretari said...

Jason, Your point deserves a detailed answer, which I 'll try to put together from all my posts. However, I'm a little backed up at the moment with research on new posts, and I've got to work on my novels as, I do every day.

So, two quick points:
1) The banks and auto companies are taxpayers, while pirates are not. As such, they have the right to petition the government for money, or whatever. That doesn't mean that they automatically get it, but they do have the right as taxpayers.
2) All these companies do have assets. It is possible to structure the deals, as in private business as well, to maximally protect the taxpayer's interests.

But, I will post about more your points, and I'll mention your name and blog when I do.

Take care, Thanks for the comment, Don