Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Rather, the spectacular, outrage, and irrational blame have been the big winners lately"

The great Derivative Dribble on Credit Default Swaps:

"Systemic Speculation

Pundits from all corners have been chiming in on the debate over derivatives. And much like the discourse that has dominated the rest of human history, reason, temperance, and facts play no role in the debate. Rather, the spectacular, outrage, and irrational blame have been the big winners lately. As a consequence, credit default swaps have been singled out as particularly dangerous to the financial system. Why credit default swaps have been targeted as opposed to other derivatives is not entirely clear to me, although I do have some theories. In this article I debunk many of the common myths about credit default swaps that are circulating in the popular press. For an explanation of how credit default swaps work, see this article."

Please read the whole post. Here was my comment:

“To call the latter gambling is to call all of investing gambling. For there is no difference between the latter and buying stock, buying bonds, investing in the college education of your children, etc.”

Wow. Another great post. You got right to my question.

Investing involves looking at a business, say, and getting a return for how the business does.When you buy a stock or a bond, you are either purchasing part of the company or loaning it money, but your analysis is based upon and tied to how the business does.

If you bet on sports, say, you have knowledge of the game which you use to determine your wager, but you are betting on an event. You’re not investing in the teams. Now, your knowledge might well lead to predicting which teams are good or bad, but you are still betting on a particular outcome.

CDS’s seem more akin to sports wagering than investment as I’ve just defined them. Both involve money and risk, but they seem to have different qualities and objectives.

I have always thought that investors, as opposed to traders, say, were seen to be different types of creatures. Traders do look more like gamblers than investors.So clearly stocks, bonds, all financial products can involve investment that looks more like gambling.

To the extent that CDS’s were more or less insurance, they seemed to make sense. I’m kind of proud of myself that your post help me get to my question on the same day that article on gambling came out.

http://don-thelibertariandemocrat.blogspot.com/2008/10/it-is-commonly-said-that-derivatives.html

My point was not what the WSJ was saying. I agree that such CDS’s can make sense and even be useful as you describe them, but my fear was that they were being marketed as safe investments, and the risks were not well understood by some of the buyers.

However, until you said this:

“But why should someone profit from ABC’s failure? Because if B’s belief in ABC’s impending failure is shared by others, their collective selfish desire to profit will push the price of protection on ABC’s bonds up, which will signal to the market-at-large that the CDS market believes that there will be an event of default on ABC issued debt. That is, a market full of people who specialize in recognizing financial disasters will inadvertently share their expertise with the world.”

I did not clearly understand the benefits. I had thought that the benefit was hedging your bet or positions by buying a CDS for one direction of movement, and some other form of financial asset for the opposite movement. In other words, it was a way of seeming to minimize risk, but that was really more risky than it seemed.

I hope I have explained my confusion, and thanks again for the explanation. Please don’t post this if it makes no sense. I’m hoping it does, but I’m not sure.

Here's the response:

"Hi Don,

I’m glad I can help you better understand things. These are complicated issues and it’s not always clear who’s right. One of strange things about a lot of human behavior is that selfish actions can have effects that are beneficial for everyone. I’m not saying this is always the case, but it is quite common. So, look past the greed and ask what is the effect of the greed."

So, in the end, I don't fault the investments themselves. I would tend to stay with what I termed investments, but that has to do more with my level of understanding and competence.

After reading Derivative Dribble, I find that these investments should have been able to be clearly explainable and better managed. I'm wondering how much of the problem is fraud and negligence on the part of the sellers of these products, and wishful thinking on the part of the buyers. But I subscribe to what I call the Human Agency explanation of this crisis. What were the factors used in deciding to take such poor risks and make such poor judgments. I'm not crediting complexity as much as others, nor mechanistic explanations of the movement or flow of financial instruments. I suppose that this is a philosophical difference as well.

No comments: