Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"remind me again who’s not on the list. "

Paul Kedrosky comes around on TARP:

"With news tonight that Treasury is once again looking at expanding the list of companies in which it takes equity stakes, I have to confess to shaking my head a little. According to the WSJ, Treasury is mulling taking stakes in “bond insurers and specialty finance firms such as General Electric Co.'s GE Capital unit, CIT Group Inc. and others”.

So, now it’s banks, insurance firms, bond insurers, and miscellaneous finance firms. With auto companies almost certain to get bailed out eventually, remind me again who’s not on the list."

Here's my comment:

I knew that it wouldn't take too long to get you on our side. These guys can't stop. It's just like moral hazard. Once you let the first one or two go, you can't come up with decent enough reasons to exclude people, and you've already compromised, so why not revel in it?

No comments: