Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sen. Obama's Agenda As Of Today

From the NY Times, Sen. Obama's agenda:

1)" Energy and Economy, Intertwined
“I will invest $15 billion a year in renewable sources of energy to create five million new energy jobs over the next decade.”
OCT. 31, DES MOINES" ( We'll see. Doesn't bother me a whole hell of a lot )
2)" Beyond ‘No Child Left Behind’
“A truly historic commitment to education — a real commitment — will require new resources and new reforms.”
MAY 28, MAPLETON, COLO" ( I'm betting on more reforms than resources )
3)"Reaching the 45 Million Uninsured
“If you don’t have health insurance, you’ll be able to get the same kind of health insurance that members of Congress get.”
OCT. 31, DES MOINES" ( I'm for a single payer national health plan, so I don't like this. I know, I know, how can that be libertarian? It can't, but I have my reasons for biting the bullet on this one. Namely, a free market won't happen, and the current hybrid plan is the worst of both extremes combined. So throw me out of the libertarian caucus if you must. I've talked about this issue before, but many people don't know how to debate issues, probably because they don't actually understand them,and so don't bother to read or debate them. Anyway, here is a post by someone who offers an intelligent libertarian critique of health care in the spirit of the later Hayek. I associate myself with the comments of Captain Sarcastic in the comments section. Fun to read.) ( One other point, which I guess I'll have to mention every time for some people to understand. Hayek himself changed his mind about this. I agree with him in "The Road To Serfdom", which I consider a libertarian book. Here's a post about it. ) ( Finally, philosophically, my argument for positive liberty in a few cases is based upon "Capitalism And Freedom", written by someone named Milton Friedman. Although he disagrees with me about health care, my notion of positive liberty is exactly the same notion that he uses to justify what he called a Negative Income Tax. I won't argue the point here, but I argue that philosophically, no matter that he claimed it was for pragmatic reasons, the Negative Income Tax philosophically rested on a weak claim of positive liberty. Period. Otherwise, the pragmatic argument made no sense at all. Agree or disagree, that's my claim.) ( One more point, for people actually interested in issues. Here's my favorite plan:"The plan would slice one Gordian knot: everyone would be required to buy health insurance, insurers would have to treat the entire population as a single pool and changes in tort and licensing laws would enable low-cost clinics for minor problems." Read about the book that describes my ultimate position here ) I should also say that my claim is empirical. I am claiming that a national plan would cost less and be better overall than what we have now. That's not an ideological position, but an empirical position. The national plan would be no panacea, it would simply be marginally to much better than what we have: Namely, a government/private hybrid loaded with idiotic incentives and redundancies )
4) "Interrogations and Guantánamo
“We’re going to lead by setting the highest of standards for civil liberties and civil rights and human rights.”
FEB. 20, DALLAS" ( Agree completely )
5) "Security and Citizenship
“We cannot deport 12 million people. Instead, we’ll require them to pay a fine, learn English and go to the back of the line.”
SEPT. 10, WASHINGTON" ( Agree completely )
6) "Tax Breaks, Old and New
“As president, here’s what I’ll do: cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year.”
OCT. 29, PAID TELEVISION ADDRESS" ( Agree completely )
7) "Withdrawing From Iraq
“Nobody’s talking about bringing them home instantly, but one to two brigades a month. It’ll take about 16 months to get our combat troops out.”
MAY 16, WATERTOWN, S.D." ( Agree completely )
8) "Working With Iran
“I would be willing to lead tough and principled diplomacy with the appropriate Iranian leaders at a time and place of my choosing.”
JUNE 4, WASHINGTON" ( Agree Completely )
9) "Negotiating Nafta
“I think we should use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced.”
FEB. 26, DEMOCRATIC DEBATE" ( Agree completely: This is terribly misunderstood. All he's saying is that we can use leverage to promote liberty and decency. I'm fine with that )
10) "But then he hedged, foreseeing the unforeseen. “We don’t know yet what’s going to happen in January,” he said. “And none of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system or the financial system.” ( Agree completely )

From his acceptance speech:

"Now, many of these plans will cost money, which is why I've laid out how I'll pay for every dime: by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens that don't help America grow.

But I will also go through the federal budget line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less, because we cannot meet 21st-century challenges with a 20th-century bureaucracy."

Enough said. That's fine with me. Try them out, but cut them out if they don't work or are too costly.

No comments: