Tuesday, November 4, 2008

“We’re going to make history today,” he said."

Wonderful post from Floyd Norris today:

"I went to vote this morning, arriving at the Caton School in Brooklyn at 5:55 a.m. I have been voting at that school’s gym since 1984, and have never had to stand in line behind more than one or two people.

This morning, there were about 90 people in line ahead of me, waiting for the polls to open at 6 a.m. Some had brought folding chairs.

My area is, and has been since I moved here, predominantly black, and most of the people in line were black. There were a lot of “wows” as new people arrived and saw lines they had never seen before.

The 40ish black man standing next to me in line told me it was the first time he had registered or voted. “We’re going to make history today,” he said."

God I hope so.

No comments: