Monday, November 17, 2008

"You can say that rent-seeking is an unfortunately inevitable by-product of having the government do good"

Here's an excellent post by David Boaz on Will's post:

"Rent-seeking, economists call it–using the government to get privileges, such as a grant, a subsidy, a tariff, or a restriction on one’s competition. It’s one of those things we free-marketers rail against all the time, in papers on free trade, corporate welfare, government spending, and virtually every other activity of the modern state. More broadly, we point out, as Will did, that it’s impossible to have nonpolitical allocation of trillions of dollars of taxpayers’ money handed out by government. If you don’t want the powerful to lobby and manipulate in order to get their share of the money, then leave it in the marketplace. If you put it in the hands of politicians, expect political allocation."

I agree with this. My disagreement with David would probably be that I believe it to be inevitable that we will have some of this, as long as people pay taxes, and there is any government at all. That's what I call Political Economy and Politics.

"And it’s not just corporate welfare. All the elements of the liberal interventionist state are both product and generator of rent-seeking. You can say that rent-seeking is an unfortunately inevitable by-product of having the government do good. But to want a $3 trillion federal government with vast regulatory powers that isn’t awash in rent-seeking is, as Milton Friedman wrote, like saying “I would like to have a cat, provided it barked.” Cats meow, and government money flows to those with political power."

Here I agree with David as well. I want a government that is much smaller, although I am not an anarchist or believer in just a military, or some such fantasy. But I think that there needs to be a road map to getting to this smaller state, based on Politics and Political Economy. In other words, a map of the U.S., not Middle Earth, however much we, okay, I, would like to live in The Shire. That's my disagreement. It's practical, not theoretical.

No comments: