Monday, November 10, 2008

"I hate to disagree with Jim Surowiecki of The New Yorker": As Do All Of Us

John Gapper exercises Austinian type analysis of the concept of "bad decisions", treating us to a scalpel like incision into the meaning of the word "abysmally":

"I hate to disagree with Jim Surowiecki of The New Yorker, who is an astute commentator, but his blithe statement that the US government’s refusal to rescue Lehman Brothers was “clearly an abysmally bad decision” demands to be corrected.

As noted before, I have a dog in this fight since I recommended before the event that Hank Paulson, the Treasury Secretary, refrain from bailing out Lehman. Since then the general consensus has emerged that Lehman’s failure precipitated the most extreme phase of the financial crisis.

I am not convinced that, even if Lehman had been rescued, that would have averted the problem since the weight of selling and panic would have moved on to the next financial institution and then the next. So the world would probably have ended up in the same position it is in today, with a broad financial sector bail-out.

However, even if a Lehman bail-out would have changed matters, the fact that Mr Paulson and the Federal Reserve were wrong does not make their decision “abysmally bad”. They simply made a calculated bet that failed, which is a different matter."

Here's my comment:

From the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e4223c20-aad1-11dd-897c-000077b07658.html

“In the end, is Lomas surprised by the scale and complexity of what he is now dealing with? He thinks carefully. Not in terms of complexity, no. What did surprise him, though, was that Lehman’s collapse had been allowed to happen in the first place. “I was surprised that it had gone down and that authorities elsewhere in the world hadn’t found a way to avoid it going down – precisely because I could anticipate the complexity that there would be here.

“Surely others had seen just how big and ugly this was going to be?”

I think you’re on pretty thin ice here, tending towards water.

Why not just say something like the following:

I made a bad decision, and, when I make a bad decision, I’m awfully proud to say that it’s generally abysmally bad.

Posted by: Don the libertarian Democrat | November 10th, 2008 at 9:10 pm

And here:

“As noted before, I have a dog in this fight”

By the way, dog fighting is illegal over here. It’s a bit like saying, “As noted before, I inserted my knife into the body..”

Posted by: Don the libertarian Democrat | November 10th, 2008 at 9:19 pm

No comments: