Wednesday, November 5, 2008

" I’m glad Barack Obama is going to be president"

Via Andrew Sullivan, I came upon this moving Will Wilkinson post:

I’m glad Obama won. I am perhaps the world’s most lachrymose man, and I cried seeing Jesse Jackson cry. I have always thought that the symbolic or cultural value of an Obama victory would be enormous. The dramatic reaction last night confirmed that. I understand why so many people are elated, and part of me is elated, too. I find it hard to see how you could not be. There is no denying that an election can be culturally transformative. It means something profound that a black man was elected to the most visible, high-status position our society offers. The mere fact that Obama won truly does make our society a better place...

I’m glad Barack Obama is going to be president. And I’m glad that the Republicans held enough Senate seats to offer significant opposition. Mostly, I’m really really glad to have a change. The public debate’s been stale for a good while now, and I’d like to see it develop. I’m looking forward to seeing some hacks become interesting again, and I’ll be sad to see some interesting minds become hacks. Politics is what it is. Rarely, like last night, it can be a stage for a proud cultural moment. Day to day, year to year, it’s a gussied-up power grab that makes smart people stupid."

Also, Clive Crook:

"Barack Obama will be president because of this great breadth of appeal and because of his extraordinary magnetism. By themselves, especially when you remember the challenges that confront him, these won't make him a great president, but they suggest that he has it in him to be a great president. At the mere thought of this possibility, one's spirits lift.

From John McCain's gracious concession speech: "A century ago, President Theodore Roosevelt's invitation of Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage in many quarters. America today is a world away from the cruel and prideful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States."

Here's my comment:

A nice post.I agree.

No comments: