Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"they preferred the lower tax, more limited government, freer trade views of McCain, but they were voting for Obama"

Well, Greg Mankiw wants to convince the very same people that I want to become Democrats to become Republicans:

"So what does the Republican Party need to do to get the youth vote back? If the Harvard students are typical (and perhaps they are not, as Harvard students are hardly a random sample), the party needs to scale back its social conservatism. Put simply, it needs to become a party for moderate and mainstream libertarians. The actual Libertarian Party is far too extreme in its views to attract these students. And it is too much of a strange fringe group. These students are, after all, part of the establishment. But a reformed Republican Party could, I think, win them back.

Can the Republican Party move move in this direction without losing much of its base? I have no idea, but for the GOP, that seems to be the challenge ahead."

I don't see the GOP going there, and, as well, I'm far less worried about President Obama's economic plans. Time will tell, but these are the people I'm trying to reach.

By the way, it is true that I feel more comfortable with liberals than current GOP conservatives, although I don't consider them to actually be conservatives, as I understand the term. Of course, a lot of people probably don't consider me a libertarian. Who cares? Let's just deal with issues. That's where I feel comfortable.

No comments: