Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Oh, sorry, AT LEAST twenty reasons. I also don't think I've ever read Roubini say his tally of woes was less than comprehensive."

Now back to Yves Smith:

"Roubini's Latest "Why Things Are Hopeless" List Hits New Record, 20 Items!

Listen to this article. Powered by Odiogo.com
I have not made a formal tally of Roubini's various lists of why the economy is going (and will continue to go) to hell in a handbasket, but recent sightings suggest his typical list is eight to twelve reasons.

However, in his latest missive, on the subject of why the consumer is toast, Roubini outdoes himself and comes up with twenty reasons. Oh, sorry, AT LEAST twenty reasons. I also don't think I've ever read Roubini say his tally of woes was less than comprehensive."

Here's the thing. I actually thought about listing his predictions, but found it too rough a row to hoe. But not Yves:

"In case you are new to this line of discussion, "falling consumption" in the absence of big time government countermeasures, equals "memorably bad downturn."

Is there some secret significance to this development? Numerologists and technical analysts are encouraged to weigh in. Personally, I think his list does boil down to a dozen or so reasons, but be sure to read down to his last point, where he draws his bottom line, a peak to trough fall in GDP of 10%. He needed 20 reasons to steel readers for his conclusion.

And I am really not making fun of Roubini. It is merely that because his messages are so consistently grim and have so far proven correct, one needs to find comic relief where one can.

From RGE Monitor:
One can count at least 20 separate or complementary causes that will sharply reduce consumption in the next several years:

· The US consumer is shopped-out having spent for the last few years well above its means.

· The US consumer is saving-less as the already low household savings rate at the beginning of this decade went to zero/negative by 2006 and has now to raise to more sustainable levels.

Yves here. I hate to be a pedant, but one and two are more or less the same reason."

Read the rest, and I have Roubini in an earlier post.

Here's my comment:

Blogger "Don said...

"Is there some secret significance to this development? Numerologists and technical analysts are encouraged to weigh in."

I'm no expert in Gematria, but I think that it means we should have stored seven years worth of grain, or something like that.

Don the libertarian Democrat

November 16, 2008 11:45 AM

No comments: