Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Over at Intrade, you can bet on future tax rates." Isn't that what we do when we vote?

Greg Mankiw on the future of tax increases:

"Over at Intrade, you can bet on future tax rates. Currently, the implied probability of a hike in the top income tax rate in 2009 is about two-thirds.

This surprises me. Even assuming an Obama victory, I would put the probability much lower. As an economic matter, raising anyone's taxes with the economy so weak seems ill-advised. As a political matter, why not just let the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of 2010? Obama could then claim in four years that he never signed a tax hike. It seems neither economically nor politically sensible for the new President to push for an immediate tax increase, even if an eventual tax increase is his goal."

Read the rest. I'm not that interested in Intrade, but I am interested in a tax hike. Like Prof. Mankiw, I don't see it happening now, and I wouldn't advise harping on the future need now either. We have so many leaks to plug that we're going to have to be patient and deal with them methodically.

Look, I don't really believe in budget deficits at all, let alone debt. But in the real world, we need to accept our cards as dealt, not dream about another deck. Am I being specific enough for you?

However, as I am about to vote, I wish Greg would let up on examing Sen. Obama's tax predilections. I'm out of Pepcid.

No comments: