Monday, October 27, 2008

Call Me Don Quixote the libertarian Democrat

I'm not saying that I'm giving up. I certainly hope that I'm wrong, and that some of the people who disagree with me, like William Gross, Ben Bernanke, and James Suroweicki, are people I respect, and could prove to be correct. But I'm beginning to wonder how long it will be until we hear that the Fed's actions and TARP are going to end up losing massive amounts of money, even under a best case scenario.

My main objection to both of these programs is that they seem less like a plan, something that can be measured and assessed for success, than a series of reactions that might well be working against each other. It reminds me a bit of AIG's non-insurance lending, being a series of discrete acts that makes some sense but add up to disaster.

All that's keeping me going now is Casey Mulligan's predictions, so let's pray he's correct.

No comments: