Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"There are a couple of problems with this argument"

Felix Salmon is right on the money this morning:

"Paul Kedrosky has a peculiar argument today, saying that banks shouldn't lend the money they're getting from Treasury:"

Peculiar. How about unethical?

Here's my comment:

Posted: Oct 29 2008 10:50am ET
"If banks don't onlend Treasury's money into the real economy, then they should have been allowed to fail -- with FDIC protection for depositors, of course, and maybe even with the government nationalizing unwanted banks and taking on their senior liabilities. At least that way equity holders and sub debt holders would have chipped in a large part of the cost of the bailout."

Absolutely. This was sold as a credit stimulus plan, now without the stimulus. Why can't people understand that there are moral standards to be adhered to when the taxpayer's money is used. That money was lent on a certain understanding, passed into legislation on a certain understanding, and needs to be adhered to, assessed, and accounted for. Otherwise, leave the taxpayers out.

I know that there were smart people I like who supported TARP, but my main objection to it was that as a hybrid plan, it would be subject to lobbying and revision as it went along, and end up being misspent and far more costly. It simply wasn't the best use of the taxpayer's money, nor the best deal on getting it back.

Now, when I go on blogs reminding people that TARP was supposed to apply to certain banks and certain conditions, and object to redefining what's a bank, who can be in TARP, the use of the money, I get people telling me how smart these moves are. I don't care what they think. They might be wrong. Have they checked these banks recent lending history and use of funds?

The point is, as an opponent of TARP, a taxpayer, I want TARP confined to what it was supposed to be. Is that too much to ask?

I hope I'm wrong. I hope if Bill Gross invests a bunch a money or whatever TARP does, it works out for us. But the issue is ultimately what the taxpayer's money can and can't be used for, and, in that, we, the taxpayers, through our representatives, should have the final say.

2 comments:

DaveinHackensack said...

Don,

I mentioned this in my comment in this thread on Menzie Chin's blog, but I think part of the problem here is that banks don't charge rates high enough for them to profitably expand lending in this environment. It may have been necessary to inject capital in some banks anyway, to avoid systemic risks of insolvency, but the government may have gotten more bang from its buck (with respect to increasing credit in the real economy) by extending lines of credit to non-traditional lenders that charge high enough rates to profitably loan to small businesses in this economic climate.

Donald Pretari said...

Dave,

I think you made good points.

Thanks for the comment,

Don