Friday, October 31, 2008

"The poll seems to indicate that Mr. McCain persuaded all the wrong people."

Floyd Norris in the NY Times with a post about Sen. McCain's campaign:

"McCain’s Economy Problem

It’s been a tough year for Senator John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate. I’m not forecasting the election, but I think the New York Times/CBS poll released last night provided some evidence of how Mr. McCain’s efforts to zigzag through the election season have failed to have their desired effect."

That seems right:

"Mr. Obama did his own zigzagging. He sounded much more like a free trader in the general election than he did in the primaries. But that issue is not a big one this year. Instead of persuading both conservatives and moderates that he agreed with them, Mr. McCain may have alienated too many voters in both camps."

Here's my comment:

This is strange. I’m a Democrat now, but I became a Republican in 2000 to support McCain. I’m voting for Sen. Obama, even though he’s not my first pick on economics, for sure. I have to pray that he’s more to my taste than he appears. Having Sen. McCain be president wouldn’t have bothered me before this campaign began, but now I feel differently.

Also, Douglas Holtz-Eakin was pretty good at CBO, and he has seemed way off of his game.

So, on economics, it’s a wash, with a slight nod to Sen. Obama. But, on everything else, Sen. Obama is way better for my beliefs. I don’t know where Sen. McCain went, but somebody might want to check for pods.

— Don the libertarian Democrat


No comments: