Saturday, October 4, 2008

Even William Gross Would Be Problematic

I've already said that one of the few financial experts I listen to is William Gross.He has offered to help with the bailout plan for free. My problem with that is the following:

"Luis Maizel, a senior managing director of LM Capital Group in San Diego, said the government should instead turn to someone like a former official of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, which is now defunct, or the Federal Reserve.

“They should start with somebody who doesn’t have a conflict,” Mr. Maizel said. “Bill Gross is a good friend of mine, but if you put this in Bill’s hands, Pimco is going to come out great and I don’t know that the government will.”

Now, if there is one person whom I would trust and put into this position it is William Gross. However, it simply seems to me that questions of conflict of interest will necessarily come up if he is involved.

And that's my problem with this aspect of the plan. Who can the Treasury Department get to administer it? For me, if it's not William Gross, who then?

No comments: