Thursday, October 2, 2008

How I've Approached The Plans Being Put Forward

I am a libertarian Democrat. As such, I'm interested in working within a party which can actually change our government over time. Perhaps I am also simply more comfortable culturally in the Democratic Party Coalition.

In any case, I accept that there is a difference between politics and political theory. Politics is the art of the possible. Political Theory is the view of the government that you would ideally like to see.

In the current crisis, I acknowledged two plans as having some merit, and fulfilling my requirement that any plan be clear and understandable:

1) A totally free market plan.

2) A version of the Swedish Plan.

In my mind, there are three points that are informing my views on which plan to favor:

A) There will be a government intervention of some sort, undoubtedly large.

B) Because crises such as these bring about government intervention.

C) If there is government intervention, it should be for as broad a purpose as possible and be as thrifty with the taxpayers money as possible.

Based on these assumptions, I favor a version of the Swedish Plan.

It's not that I don't see other plans as possibly working, but hybrid/compromise plans are generally:

1) Easier to manipulate by special interests.

2) Harder to determine what worked and what didn't.

3) Riskier financially.

That's how I've approached this crisis.

No comments: