Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sen. Obama On The Bailout

Ezra Klein has an excellent post today entitled "Obama On The Bailout Plan":

"Obama's speech on the bailout plan is pitch perfect, one of the best statements he's given on the crisis thus far:

Even with all these taxpayer protections, this plan is not perfect. Democrats and Republicans in Congress have legitimate concerns about it. I know many Americans share those concerns. But it is clear that this is what we must do right now to prevent a crisis from turning into a catastrophe. That’s why I’ve been reaching out to leaders in both parties to do whatever I can to help pass this plan. That’s why I’ll be flying back to Washington today to cast my vote to safeguard the American economy. And to the Democrats and Republicans who have opposed this plan, I say – step up to the plate and do what’s right for the country, because the time to act is now.

I know many Americans are wondering what happens next. Passing this bill will not be the end of our work to strengthen our economy – it’s just the beginning of a long, hard road ahead. So let me tell you exactly how I’ll move forward as President."

Read on.

Do I agree with everything that Sen. Obama says? No. But, given political realities, Sen. Obama is proving himself to be ready to lead. There is no sense of undue panic, and a real emphasis on getting things done. The contrast with Sen. McCain is clear.



No comments: