Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bailouts Are Here To Stay, I'm Sorry To Say

Bob Barr gives a libertarian reaction to the current bailouts on the Huffington Post.

Here's my response:

ModerateDon See Profile I'm a Fan of ModerateDon permalink

Bob, Get this through your head. Our government is always going to do bailouts. Period. As a libertarian Democrat, all we can do is set in place a minimum of rules, and protect as much freedom and require as much personal liability as possible. It is in crises like these that government over-reaction often occurs. There's going to be regulation, the only question is how much and will it work. Of course, that's why I'm a Democrat. I want to help shape my party, which could, actually, get things done, and do things right."

The only way to avoid bailouts, which are horrendously costly and lead to excessive regulation, is to have a set of minimal regulations that precludes meltdowns such as the current one.

I understand his position, but it's not a real world solution.

I understand that many in my party will propose regulations that I don't agree with, and I need to be specific on where I, as a libertarian Democrat, disagree.

Right now, I not seeing a lot of specifics, but will talk about them when I do.


No comments: