Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can We Really Avoid Some Regulations?

Nick Gillespie has a good post on Reason called "McCain On AIG". Here he quotes Tyler Cowen:

"There are two ways to view this history. First, with the benefit of hindsight, one could argue that we needed only a stronger political will to regulate every corner of finance and avert a crisis.

Under the second view, which I prefer, regulators will never be in a position to accurately evaluate or second-guess many of the most important market transactions. In finance, trillions of dollars change hands, market players are very sophisticated, and much of the activity takes place outside the United States—or easily could."

It's a good point, but here's my response:

"Don the libertarian Democrat | September 17, 2008, 2:34pm | #We'd better come up with a way to avoid these kinds of crises, otherwise there will more bailouts and more regulations. That's the real world. I say that we should try and develop some decent and minimal regulations. But,hey,if the world changes, that's fine with me."

Two points:

1) I agree that we can't regulate every corner of finance, but would like to try and set up some minimal, but suitable, rules to avert future crises like the current one.

2) I'm not sure that we can't have regulators focus on a few well thought out regulations or aspects of the most important market transactions.

Still, I take the point. I just don't see any other real option than some regulations.

No comments: