Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Who Is A Libertarian? One Answer

Libertarians For Obama asks "Who Is A Libertarian?". Here's part:

"My personal definition would be: A person who opposes war and tyranny and wants less government, an economy based on the principals of the free market, personal freedom and civil liberties. I think that Obama meets this definition (though I don't call him a libertarian). I know that many of my readers disagree.

I've also seen various people call themselves libertarians while supporting either aggressive war, detention without trial, a crackdown on immigrants, the war on drugs or high tariffs.

So who gets to claim the label? Or is it un-libertarian to try to be so exclusive?"

Good points. As a libertarian Democrat, I'm trying to develop a particular agenda and set of ideas. I think that it's libertarian, but can see how others wouldn't.

I would like my libertarianism to be results oriented, and that might take time.

No comments: