Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Some Thoughts On National Service

As a libertarian Democrat, I naturally hear from some people that I am not a libertarian, and from others that I'm not a Democrat. I suppose that if I cared more about what others think of my positions, I would be bothered by such comments. However, I feel comfortable, so far, developing these ideas, and so intend to go on.

That brings me to the Democratic presidential team. I do not consider Joe Biden a libertarian Democrat. I can well remember him holding up Richard Epstein's "Takings" as if it were seditious.I happen to like that book, and agree with a fair number of Epstein's positions. I do believe that Biden was a decent choice for VP, and hope that he will help Sen. Obama win this election.

As for Sen. Obama, I do not consider him a libertarian Democrat either, but believe him to be a better choice than McCain, and to have some libertarian leanings which I see becoming more pronounced over time. Here George Will has a column about some possible libertarian aspects of Sen. Obama's philosophy.

In any case, If Sen. Obama loses, I will be looking for the most libertarian Democrat to support next time around. That's how you influence your party.

Which brings me to Nick Gillespie's post today on Reason called "A Second Look At National Service". Here it is:

"Over at The Wall Street Journal, Reason Foundation Senior Analyst Shikha Dalmia weighs in on John McCain's and Barack Obama's stances on national service. A snippet:

Both John McCain and Barack Obama exhorted Americans to dedicate themselves to public service in an appearance at Columbia University on Thursday, to mark the seventh anniversary of 9/11. But Americans need no lectures from politicians to participate in their nation's civic life. They need them to stay out of the way. Between the two, Sen. Obama is far less likely to do so.

At first blush, the two candidates appear indistinguishable on the subject. Both have urged Americans to look beyond their individual, material pursuits and commit themselves to causes greater than themselves -- Sen. McCain arguably even more aggressively than Mr. Obama. The difference is that for Mr. McCain this is a moral ideal. For Mr. Obama, it is a governing mission. "Making that call to service will be a central cause of my presidency," he declared in an Independence Day address at the University of Colorado and elsewhere.

Whole thing there."

Here's Terry Michael's response, which I agree with, and hope he doesn't mind me posting:

"Terry Michael | September 16, 2008, 2:47pm | #I think Reason Foundation Senior Analyst Shikha Dalmia needs to read Reason editor-in-chief Matt Welch's book on John McCain.

As I wrote in response to Nick's piece, "It would take a first-rate cult de-programmer to move John McCain away from his cause-greater-than-self obsession--and the cause for him is always some war, somewhere, all the time." Seems to me a much bigger threat to individual liberty than Sen. Obama's words."

Here's my response:

"Don the libertarian Democrat | September 16, 2008, 3:06pm | #

It's fair to criticize Sen. Obama for these programs, which might or might not go anywhere. But I agree with Terry Michael. Sen. McCain's view seems to entail a kind of international service."

First, I don't have a problem, from the point of liberty, with Sen. Obama's proposals, unless they are mandatory.

Second, I don't mind if people want to serve their country or the common good, and, ideed, in some cases might find it praiseworthy, as long as they are not compelled.

Third, I'm against these proposals of Sen. Obama, assuming I am, because I don't think they work, or don't work well enough to justify the money. For me, there is an empirical aspect to these questions.

I have no problem criticizing Sen. Obama where I disagree with him, but I feel the same about other libertarians as well.

No comments: